Wednesday, October 25, 2006

In the Bunker...just like me golf...

Saturday saw me travel to only the 3rd live event I have been to, it was the Dream Team Final at the poker bunker, although I was not playing, I was there to support my adopted team "the leaguenutz muffers" as my original team "the northern muffs" folded after week one. I was so looking forward to meeting everyone I have been chatting to online over the last year, I was literally like a kid on XMAS eve.

The travel down to the big smoke was an event in itself, after managing to codge a lift with MADV and pokerkaz, two of my good online friends, as a token of goodwill, I bought Vad (MADV) a full breakfast at our chosen pick up point which was the services off J2 off the M42 (2 miles from me gaff) This proved to be a massive mistake !!!! I am not sure if it was a slightly off egg, or it is a normal bodily function for someone from Halifax, but MADV started farting like something you would not believe, and trust me, roses it was not.....

Apart from the mist in the car, the journey went well until we managed to take a wrong turn off the A40, no problem we thought, we will do a U turn and get straight back on.....over an hour later we were lost with no sign of the A40, no signs to anywhere...It had gone into thin air. We pulled over a couple of times to ask a friendly cockney or two as to directions, or even where we were, but as I was driving, it was the flatulent northerner who poked his head out asking for directions and this was enough to send even the toughest cockney gangster running for the bushes saying "sorry san, I caaan't help you".......We eventually had to admit defeat and bite the bullet, MADV jumped out, flagged down a cabbie, jumped in cab and we had to pay £33 to follow him to our hotel just around the corner from the bunker. We were there and in time, that was all that mattered.

It was then time for a few beers in the hotel bar, meeting up with the gang which consisted of Rob1973 (flew over from his home in copenhagen to watch, great effort matey), LEXUS2, LANGERS, BANQO (just off a plane from Canada ffs) and also the nutzers top scoring dream teamer fryern (didn't even see your mom drop you off m8) We were then off the bunker where we joined up with our leaguenutz boss moffman.

The first person we bumped into outside was stanford, who had just found out there was no sky in the building and was planning an exit to watch the villa vs fulham game which was on at 17:15, he duly vanished after giving the free bar a bit of stick.

Walking into the building, I was wondering if anyone would remember me from my two previous meet ups with laddies players at spixworth in Norwich, I was not to be disappointed as I bumped into strummer straight away, who immediatly set about taking the piss out of me, stating I now look more like a fat surfer than a Goth....sometimes anonomity would be a better option.....but it was all in good spirits.

The tourney got off almost on time and I must admit was a very well run event, the nutz muffers railbirds found a very convenient spot leaning on the bar with a direct view of monkeyjulies table, I think a couple of our group had some serious ideas above there station, ie outplaying a far superior poker player, or did they have something else on there mind ;-)

Davy Lang was unfortunate on the old bar front in the early afternoon as he managed to find a two minute period where the bar was not free when he bought a round, when he found out the beer was subsequently free, being from north, he was not too pleased.

There was a little dog with a ball that kept most of the drunks amused (lexus2 more than most. hehe) I had visions of someone getting a bad beat and watching the poor little fella flying across the room, but luckily he was safe. The muffers team, did not have the best of time with it, with moff getting caught by benny early on and banqo/fryern not getting much help from the dealer. Vad had a very tough table for most of the tourney, but managed a very creditable 25th, one of the higlights being when he managed to get hamsterboy to get all his chips in the middle with 62 when vad had AA, timing is so cruel sometimes.

The lack of STT's and cash tables, meant to get a poker fix, I had to enter a singapore satellite, just to get my hands on some cards, which I was not really interested in playing. The one good think that came out of it was that I had the pleasure of being seated to another online friend of mine angel1975 who was celebrating her birthday, she was even more of a pleasure to talk to in the flesh than she is online, how ariston could muff angel with 77 vs her JJ to knock her out the tourney, I do not know, I hope he feels ashamed of himself, I also had the pleasure of meeting rugrat, who I have admired from afar on laddies, but he seems like a real nice guy too. In the Sat itelself, I managed to get short stacked and walked my 55 into QQ, with angel calling with 23 sooted for value as well and the board gave a Q and 22, so I was stuffed from all corners.

My next venture was a £20 sng, this turned out to be be an adventure in itself, with ShaneMcg Reraising all in with 62 sooted and getting called by KK, Shanes sober screams of "how the hell can you call with KK off suit" had the table in stitches, unfortunately he failed to muff and he left the table almost as quick as he had sat down.

The tourney seemed to go on forever, and was quite a tight affair, I believe I owe a big apology to p0kerwid0w, for muffing her AK with KQ, then when shortstacked on the BB announcing I am all in blind, which did not stop her raising me all in anyway with JJ, I flipped my cards only to find KK (blush)

I then had a good run of cards, which left me heads up with person X (sorry, can't remember who it was) I had a fair chip lead but after a couple of gambles to finish it off, we were almost level. It was then I realised that we were the only two playing and that they were shutting the bunker around us, so we did a deal and took £80 each, which I was more than happy with.

It was then back to the hotel, straight to the bar for a round of drinks, then up to robs/davys room armed with a pack of cards and one of MADVS many laddies chipsets, for a £10 rebuy tourney. I think I managed to ruin my rock image during this tourney after re-raising Vad all, then hearing the dreaded words of vad "I know I am way behind Goth, but as it is a rebuy I am gonna gamble and call" chuckles rawed out as I then went bright red and had to show my 6 9....My rep is in ruins...lol

But the luck of the cards prevailed and at the end of the night, I was left eads up wiith lexus2, while the rest of the room were either snoring or filling the room with obnoxious gases, or in davys case both at the same time !!! . I got Dealt AA and a 3rd A flopped, a check and a sigh from me, saw lex move all in and the mini tourney was mine.....It was 5.30am and it was time for bed for a well earned sleep.

Tom (Banqo) and I were the only two to make breakfast, and following a couple of beers and watching the Manu vs liverpool game in the hotel bar, it was the long journey home. I managed to land home about 19:30, Vad I believe, eventually rolled in about midnight in halifax after surviving the torrid trip from the saarf to the North, thankfully in one piece.

A big thankyou to everyone I met over the weekend, especially pokerkaz and MADV, as we spent so much time together. I was shocked to find a few of the people I met even mentioned they read this blog (you can leave comments you know..lol), so I hope a few of the stories of the above bring back some good memories and I can't wait till the next event and to meet you all again.

Goth...hic..hic..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi m8, just lookin at ur blog again. Hows tricks? Was good to meet u at live event(although a little blurry hehe). All Good fun and look forward to next event!

ShaneMcG