Thursday, June 15, 2006

A great day out in sunny Scotland

On Tuesday, I had a break from work and poker and went Scotland to play Golf. We flew up to Edinburgh on the 6.55 flight from Birmingham, unfortunately one numpty in our party decided to not bring any photo ID with him, so they would not let him on the plane, so our party of 10 became a party of 9 !!!

Once in Edinburgh we taxied to Craigelaw golf course which was a couple of miles away from Gullen, so I am told (Geography is not y strong point !) where we sat down for a full scottish breakfast, yum yum......

After loosening the belt a notch, set off for the first tee......now bearing in mind, I have not played a round of golf since september and only one visit up the driving range I was a bit nervous. Especially after the usual rows about handicaps and bandits, I was made to play off 15, which I thought was a bit unfair. My fears were soon put to rest when my drive went through the back of the green, well it was only 291 yards, easy game golf ;-)

We played 9 in the morning and then played 18 after lunch and had a great laugh during the game, with the normal betting frenzy that goes on. Considering I hadn't played ince november and only normally play 9-10 times a year anyway. I shot 44 on the 9 in morning for 17 points (took 3 to get out of one bunker...grrr) and the 18, I shot 91 for 30 points. So I can't really complain. My driving kept me in the game really, with the win behind, I drove at least 3 of the greens, one of them 350 yards+

I think we got off lightly with the wind, as it was right on the coast, if it was blowing like a proper links course, we could off been in all sorts of trouble.

This was my first trip ever to Scotland and I was very impressed. The scenary was beautiful and much to my amazement, the hospitality was second to none. I will definitely be spending more time up there.

We got back to the airport at 21:30 and I was in my local in back in Birmingham at 22:59 for last orders, which didn't really matter as the landlord organized the trip anyway and was with us so beer was not going to be a problem.

Truly a great day out.

No comments: